Saturday, May 8, 2010

Thoughts on being a Mother

I spent the day today at a Mother Daughter Luncheon Fashion Show.  I brought my Mother-in-Law, and unfortunately Laura had to work and couldn't be there.  As I was organizing my purse in the morning, I noticed a book mark that I had in my bible that made me stop in my tracks.  The scripture on it reads:

"Pour out your heart like water before the face of the Lord;
lift up your hands toward Him for the life of your children."
Lamentations 2:19

I had to take a moment to really reflect about my responsibility, as a mother, to take every burden and concern that I have for my children to the Lord.  After all - no one will pray as earnestly for a child, than the mother.

Let's break this down...

Pour our your heart like water before the face of the Lord.
If you have a cup full of water, it will not empty itself.  Someone or something has to come along, pick it up and intentionally pour it out into another cup, pot, sink, etc.  When it is gone, it's gone.  I believe the Lord desires for us to pick up all of the worries, cares, concerns and so on that we are carrying around for our children, and let them flow out of us (to Him).  We are not meant to contain those things, we are meant to "cast all our care on Him, for He cares for us..." 

Not only that, we are to pour out our heart like water before the face of the Lord.  This again is an intentional seeking of the Lord.  Going to the Lord is what He longs for.  It is what He desires of us.  When we go before the face of another person, it is to meet them, to talk with them, to share and to converse.  It is not a one way street - although that is what many of us are most comfortable with.   When we go before the face of the Lord, we are looking eye to eye in full engagement.  It is in the hour, that you have full assurance of the Lord, that He is with you in that moment, ready to listen, ready to guide and ready to wrap His loving arms around you.

Lift up your hands toward Him for the life of your children.
Have you ever just thrown your hands up in the air and say something like: "I give up!"  "I don't know what the heck to do now!" "Whatever, what's the point!"  That is the big give up - not the big lift up!  The lifting up of our hands toward Him is totally symbolic of the surrender of our own will, for the ultimate will of the Father.  It is our acknowledgement of our seemingly hopeless condition, that must have the help and wisdom of Christ.  Ever been there?  I know I have!

I am so thankful to see the fruit of answered prayer in the lives of my children, now as they are adults. Those times of praying and crying before the Lord to help my kids through a rough time in school, with classmates, in seasons of rebellion, in times of the emotional roller coaster (yes boys have those too) really helped me to grow as a mother.  I want to encourage you to not to settle for the status quo.  God has much bigger and better things for you, for your family, for your kids!  Be intentional.  If you sense something is needing to change, something has gotten out of control, something needs to happen, be specific and pour out your heart like water before the face of the Lord.    Keep the spiritual life of your children at the forefront, and battle accordingly!

Happy Mother's Day!

What now?
I learned to apply this scripture when my kids were very young as I was a part of a Mothers prayer group called:  "Mom's In Touch International".  It's mission was to encourage mom's to pray for their kids and schools.  We would meet weekly and literally pray for the needs of our children, and the concerns of their schools.  Visit them online to see if there is a group already meeting at your child/ren's school and join!

No comments:

Post a Comment